The American Psychological Association (APA) made several changes to its style. The APA 7th Edition contains several updates to the students’/academic papers, such as formatting of the student papers, variations on how sources are cited, among others. As a result this resource highlights some significant changes made in student papers in the 7th Edition, which is the latest to be released.
APA Paper Format
- The first notable change made in the APA 7th Edition is the title page layout.
|APA 6th Edition||APA 7th Edition|
|Paper Title Student’s Name Institution Affiliation Date||Paper Title (Bold) Student’s Name Institution Affiliation Course Instructor’s Name Due Date|
- The second notable change in terms of formatting is that the 7th Edition neither uses the running head on the title paper nor the shortened paper title of subsequent pages unless otherwise stated by the instructor.
For Example; Running head: THE EFFECT OF SOCIAL MEDIA ON TEENAGERS.,this is no longer necessary.Instead we can use only page numbers on-page headers only .
Also, contrary to the APA 6th Edition, where Times New Roman 12 was the official font, the 7th Edition has increased font flexibility and, as such incorporated other fonts such as Calibri 11, Arial 11, Lucida Sans Unicode 10, Georgia 11 and Times New Roman 12.
APA 7th Edition Heading Styles
- The APA 7th Edition has also updated its heading styles.
|1||Centered, Bold, Title Case – For the paper title.|
|2||Left-aligned, Bold, Title Case – Text begins a new paragraph.|
|3||Left-aligned, Bold, Italic, Title Case – Text begins a new paragraph.|
|4||Indented, Bold, Title Case, Period. – Text begins on the same line.|
|5||Indented, Bold, Italic, Title Case, Period. – Text begins on the same line.|
References and in-text citations in APA Style
- APA 7th Edition does not include the publisher’s location in the reference list.
For Example, Covey, S.R. (2013). The 7 habits of effective people: Powerful lessons in personal change. New York, NY: Simon & Schuster.
This is not necessary, and instead, APA 7th Edition recommends, Covey, S.R. (2013). The 7 habits of effective people: Powerful lessons in personal change. Simon & Schuster.
- Also, APA 7th Edition shortens in-text citations with three or more authors right from the first citation.
For example, instead of (Taylor, Kotler, Johnson & Parker, 2018), (Taylor et al., 2018) is recommended.
- Surnames for up to 20 authors (instead of 7 authors as in the 6th Edition) are provided in the reference list.
- For e-books, the format or platform obtained from is no longer necessary in the reference, and instead, the publisher is included.
Example; Brück, M. (2009). Women in early British and Irish astronomy: Stars and satellites [Kindle version]. https:/doi.org/10.1007/978-90-481-2473-2 is no longer necessary. Instead, this version is to be used.
Brück, M. (2009). Women in early British and Irish astronomy: Stars and satellites. Springer Nature. https:/doi.org/10.1007/978-90-481-2473-2
- Digital Object Identifier (DOIs) in APA’s 7th Edition is now formatted as URLs.
Example, instead of doi: 10.1080/ 02626667.2018.1560449 (APA 6th Edition), https://doi.org/10.1080/ 02626667.2018.1560449 is recommended.
- For electronic sources, URLs no longer need the words “Retrieved from.” Thus the 7th Edition commends only the URL with the webpage title in italics.
For Example; Instead of – Walker, A. (2019, November 14). Germany avoids recession, but growth remains weak. This retrieved from https://www.bbc.com/news/business-50419127 (APA 6th Edition).
Use – Walker, A. (2019, November 14). Germany avoids recession, but growth remains weak. BBC News. https://www.bbc.com/news/business-50419127 (APA 7th Edition).
Bias-Free Language and Inclusivity.
This edition is more sensitive.Thus it recommends writing guidelines on age, gender, race, and ethnicity.
- The singular “they” or “their” is recommended as a gender-neutral pronoun.
For Example; Instead of – For a student to be accepted, it depends on how often he or she is committed. Thus use – For a student to be accepted, it depends on how often they are committed.
- Also, rather than using broad words, the APA 7th Edition prefers words that are specific for clarity and relevance.
For Example; Instead of writing – people over 65 years old are more prone to Coronavirus.
Thus use – people in the age of 65-75 years old are more prone to Coronavirus.
Instead of “Transsexuals,” use “Transgender people.”
- Mechanics of Style
- Instead of two spaces after a period, APA 7th Edition insists on one space after a period.
- Also, APA 7th Edition advocates using double quotation marks instead of italics to refer to linguistic examples.
For example, APA endorses the use of the singular pronoun “they” instead of they.
For the purpose of any kind of writing service Contact Us